Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 22-50 Canfield Christian Church [8]

  • 22-50 Canfield Christian (Disciple) Church 22-50 Canfield Christian (Disciple) Church
  • 22-50 Canfield Christian Church 22-50 Canfield Christian Church
  • 22-50 The Setting 22-50 The Setting
  • 22-50 Marker #22-50 -Side A 22-50 Marker #22-50 -Side A
  • 22-50 Marker #22-50 -Side B 22-50 Marker #22-50 -Side B
  • 22-50 Church 22-50 Church
  • 22-50 Marker Back 22-50 Marker Back
  • 22-50 Marker Front 22-50 Marker Front
Title, side A
Canfield Christian Church
Text, side A
The Canfield Christian Church began as a Baptist congregation in 1822 and church met for worship in William Dean's home. The Mahoning Baptist Association Meeting of 1826 was held in David Hayes barn. In 1827, Walter Scott was asked by the Association to be the first paid traveling evangelist in the Mahoning Valley area of Ohio. Scott accepted the offer and moved his family to a house next to the Canfield Church. By June of 1829, the Canfield Church voted to lay aside the Baptist name for the name Disciples of Christ. They believed all creeds were unnecessary and took the Bible alone as their sole rule of faith and practice. In 1847, a new church was built. Charter members of the church include James and Sarah Caldwell, Ann Winfield, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Caldwell and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Flick, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Clark, Mr. and Mrs. John Flick, and Mr. and Mrs. Simmon Sackett and daughter.
Text, side B
Numerous alterations have been made to the Canfield Christian Church over the years. In 1870, the sanctuary was redesigned, and in 1905 the building was raised to provide access to the basement. In 1907, the plain glass windows were replaced with arched windows and stained glass. Between 1932 and 1937, a new entrance was placed at the southwest corner and the stairway to the basement was enclosed. Many improvements were made from 1949 to 1950: the main entrance was changed from Broad Street to Maple Street, and two wings were added at ground level on the north and south sides of the building. A full basement was added, allowing room for four classrooms, a kitchen, a baptistery, and a fellowship hall. A narthex was dedicated in 1983 and a memorial bell tower was added in 1983. Ten years later, in 1993, a new steeple and carillon chimes were dedicated.
Address
123 S Broad Street
Canfield, OH 44406
Location
Canfield Christian Church, 123 S Broad Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.013330, Longitude: -80.456120.
Google map: