Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Marion County / 9-51 World War II Displacement [4]

  • 9-51 Marker Side A 9-51 Marker Side A
  • 9-51 Marker Side B 9-51 Marker Side B
  • 9-51 #9-51 World War II Displacement Front 9-51 #9-51 World War II Displacement Front
  • 9-51 #9-51 World War II Displacement Back 9-51 #9-51 World War II Displacement Back
Title, side A
World War II Displacement
Text, side A
During the early months of World War II, ordinary citizens as well as soldiers made enormous sacrifices for the war effort. In March 1942 the War Department announced plans to build a 13,000-acre munitions manufacturing complex northeast of Marion. Using the power of eminent domain, the U.S. Government purchased the homes and farms of 126 families in the Likens Chapel community. Given only two months to vacate their property, many displaced farmers found the government-appraised values for their land inadequate for buying similar farms elsewhere and the growing season too advanced to plant new crops. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
(continued from other side) The Scioto Ordnance Plant, operated by the U.S. Rubber Company, began assembling bombs, shells, and fuses in late fall 1942. It was phased out after only one year as its production became surplus. The adjacent Marion Engineer Depot continued operations for the duration of the war, serving as a distribution point for war materiel and also as a prisoner-of-war camp. The Likens Chapel and cemetery, which stands ? mile north, is one of few remnants of an entire community sacrificed for the war effort. Though many of the farmers suffered tremendous hardships, most recognized the necessity of their displacement at a time of national crisis.
Address
1530 Pole Lane Road
Marion, OH 43302
Location
Marion Municipal Airport, intersection of Pole Lane Road and Chapel Heights Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.615384, Longitude: -83.073107.
Google map: