Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Butler County / 14-9 William Holmes McGuffey House [9]

  • 14-9 View of House from Across Spring Street 14-9 View of House from Across Spring Street
  • 14-9 View of House from Corner of Spring Street and Oak Street 14-9 View of House from Corner of Spring Street and Oak Street
  • 14-9 Marker Side A 14-9 Marker Side A
  • 14-9 Marker Side B 14-9 Marker Side B
  • 14-9 Side View of House 14-9 Side View of House
  • 14-9 View of House with Marker 14-9 View of House with Marker
  • 14-9 McGuffey Museum on Appreciation Day 14-9 McGuffey Museum on Appreciation Day
  • 14-9 William Holmes McGuffey 14-9 William Holmes McGuffey
  • 14-9 McGuffey House 14-9 McGuffey House
Title, side A
William Holmes McGuffey House
Text, side A
William Holmes McGuffey (1800-1873) was a Miami University faculty member in 1836 when he compiled the first edition of the McGuffey Eclectic Reader in this house. His Reader taught lessons in reading, spelling, and civic education by using memorable stories of honesty, hard work, thrift, personal respect, and moral and ethical standards alongside illustrative selections from literary works. The six-edition series increased in difficulty and was developed with the help of his brother Alexander Hamilton McGuffey. After the Civil War the Readers were the basic schoolbooks in thirty-seven states and by 1920 sold an estimated 122 million copies, reshaping American public school curriculum and becoming one of the nation's most influential publications.
Text, side B
McGuffey lived at this site in a small frame house in 1828, and in 1833 built this brick home in the Federal vernacular style common to the area. The west wing was added about 1860 in the first of a series of renovations typical of nineteenth-century domestic architecture in the Miami Valley. From the 1850s to 1958 several Oxford families owned the property. At the Miami University Sesquicentennial in 1958, the University purchased the house from the Wallace P. Roudebush family, and it was endowed by Emma Gould Blocker to serve as a museum of University history in honor of McGuffey's legacy. The museum opened to the public in 1960 and the house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. It exhibits such unique artifacts as the octagonal table upon which the McGuffey Eclectic Reader was designed and the lectern McGuffey used as professor of Ancient Languages and Literature and University Librarian.
Address
410 E. Spring Street
Oxford, OH 45056
Location
410 East Spring Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.505691, Longitude: -84.737180.
Google map: