Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Meigs County / 17-53 Village of Pomeroy [6]

  • 17-53 The Marker 17-53 The Marker
  • 17-53 The Setting 17-53 The Setting
  • 17-53 and The River 17-53 and The River
  • 17-53 Main Street 17-53 Main Street
  • 17-53 Pomeroy Bend on the Ohio River 17-53 Pomeroy Bend on the Ohio River
  • 17-53 Pomeroy, Meigs County Courthouse 17-53 Pomeroy, Meigs County Courthouse
Title, side A
Village of Pomeroy
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Since it was formed in 1819, Meigs County was fostered by its location on 57 miles of the Ohio River, named by the Indians"Oyo," meaning beautiful river. Pomeroy, the county seat, was named for Samuel Wyllys Pomeroy, an early landholder. His company, Pomeroy, Sons & Company, and his son-in-law, Valentine B. Horton (1802-1888), were influential in developing the coal, salt, and iron industries of the region. Horton pioneered the transportation of coal by river, building the world's first coal barges and, in 1835, the first coal-fueled towboat, the Condor. Coal, salt, and iron, in addition to other local products, were shipped from Pomeroy's 125' x 40' wharf to ports from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati. Excursion, passenger, shanty and showboats also visited Pomeroy's port. Today, the Ohio River continues to be a busy waterway carrying commodities such as coal, petroleum, chemicals, steel, sand, and gravel. It is also a busy haven for recreational crafts as well as stern wheel boats.
Address
320 E. Main Street
Pomeroy, OH 45769
Location
320 E. Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.028583, Longitude: -82.029740.
Google map: