Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Miami County / 10-55 Rural Electrification [4]

  • 10-55 Rural Electrification marker 10-55 Rural Electrification marker
  • 10-55 detail on sign 10-55 detail on sign
  • 10-55 detail on sign 10-55 detail on sign
  • 10-55 Rural Electrification 10-55 Rural Electrification
Title, side A
Rural Electrification
Text, side A
On November 14, 1935, the rural electrification movement got its start in Piqua with the installation of the first electric pole financed by the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). In partnership with the Miami Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., the pole was constructed to support a power line of 193 miles, bringing electricity to nearly 700 farms in the county. At the time the REA was established by the federal government, only 10% of the rural population had electricity. Today, electric cooperative lines reach more than 36 million consumers in 47 states.
Address
344 W. US Route 36
Piqua, OH 45356
Location
In front of the Pioneer Electric Cooperative building - Replaced #9-55
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.150050, Longitude: -84.202600.
Google map: