Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Miami County / 20-55 Hanktown [8]

  • 20-55 Hanktown Ohio Historical Marker 20-55 Hanktown Ohio Historical Marker
  • 20-55 Ohio Bicentennial Barn 20-55 Ohio Bicentennial Barn
  • 20-55 Margaret Vaughn Hanktown Descendant and Local Historian 20-55 Margaret Vaughn Hanktown Descendant and Local Historian
  • 20-55 Gale Honeyman Union Township  Historian 20-55 Gale Honeyman Union Township Historian
  • 20-55 Andy Hite Ohio Historical Society 20-55 Andy Hite Ohio Historical Society
  • 20-55 Hanktown Marker - Front 20-55 Hanktown Marker - Front
  • 20-55 Hanktown Marker - Back 20-55 Hanktown Marker - Back
  • 20-55 HANK TOWN CEMETERY 20-55 HANK TOWN CEMETERY
Title, side A
Hanktown
Text, side A
Hanktown, settled in 1846, was home to eighty-nine of the three hundred and eighty-three slaves, owned by John Randolph (1773-1833), a wealthy Virginian landowner and cousin to President Thomas Jefferson. Randolph had decided to free the slaves and indicated the decision in his will. His family, however, found three different wills and protested. Thirteen years passed before the slaves left the plantation. In 1846, Judge William Leigh arranged for the slaves to travel to Mercer County and purchased two thousand acres. (Continued from other side)
Text, side B
(Continued from other side) Reaching their destination in Mercer County, the freed slaves were attacked, forced to turn back, and lost their land. They traveled south towards Miami County, some stopping in Sidney, Piqua, and Troy. The remaining former slaves purchased two hundred acres in Union Township. On this spot was the Hanktown Baptist Church and nearby stood the Hanktown School. Hanktown produced seven Grand Army of the Republic Civil War soldiers: Hillary White, Julius Young, Silas White, Harrison Gillard, James Gillard, Israel White, and Spencer White.
Address
State Route 571
Laura, OH 45337
Location
State Route 571, Laura
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.987620, Longitude: -84.381823.
Google map: