ALERT: This marker was inadvertently numbered 45-31.
- Title, side A
- First Jain Temple in Ohio - "Souls render service to one another"
- Title, side B
- History of Jainism in Ohio - "Ahimsa Parmodharma-Non injury to all living beings"
- Text, side A
- The Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton was established on April 22, 1979 as a non-profit tax-exempt organization under the laws of the United States and the State of Ohio. The foundation stone of the Jain temple, the first of its kind in Ohio, was laid down on August 21-22, 1994. The temple was dedicated on September 2 - 4, 1995 when more than one thousand people from all over Ohio and many other states participated in holy rituals to install three idols of Jinas (Gods). The Jain Center is a place for the teaching of non-violence, reverence for life, and compassion for all beings. The center was the home of the twelfth biennial convention for the Federation of Jain Associations in North America, which was held on July 3 - 6, 2003. (Continued on the other side)
- Text, side B
- Shri Virchand Raghavji Gandhi, a disciple of Acharya Vijayanandsuriji (Atmaramji) Maharaj, introduced the Jain religion to North America during the Parliament of the World's Religions, which was held in Chicago on September 11-27, 1893. A year later, on September 18, 1894, he introduced Jainism to Ohio during a visit to Cleveland. The Jain religion and its teachings of universal love are eternal and the faith recognizes twenty-four Tirthankaras (prophets) during the present era. The twenty-fourth and the last Tirthankara was Lord Mahavira (599 - 527 BCE). Lord Mahavira once said, "In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own." Ahimsa (non-violence), Satya (truthfulness), Asteya (non-stealing), Brahmacharya (chastity), and Aparigraha (non-materialism) are the basic principles of Jainism. Its motto is "live and let live and help others to live."
- Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton and The Ohio Historical Society
- 6798 Cincinnati Dayton Road
Liberty Township, OH 45044
- At the rear of the building