Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Montgomery County / 11-57 Brigadier General Edmund Munger [5]

  • 11-57 General Munger Marker 11-57 General Munger Marker
  • 11-57 General Munger House, ca. 1820 11-57 General Munger House, ca. 1820
  • 11-57 General Munger House, ca. 1820 11-57 General Munger House, ca. 1820
  • 11-57 Marker 11-57 Marker
  • 11-57 Munger house 11-57 Munger house
Title, side A
Brigadier General Edmund Munger
Text, side A
Edmund Munger was born in 1763 in Norfolk, Connecticut, and later moved to Vermont. In 1799, his wife Eunice Kellogg and five children traveled by wagon and flat-bottomed boat to claim land in Washington Township. A blacksmith by trade and a farmer, Munger was deeply interested in community affairs. In 1804, he was elected a Montgomery County Commissioner and four years later to Ohio's Seventh General Assembly. From 1809 to 1826, he served as Clerk of Washington Township. His militia men elected him a Brigadier General in 1809 to take command of the Second Brigade, First Division of the Ohio Militia. During the War of 1812, Governor Return J. Meigs instructed Munger to defend the frontier within his command. His quick action protected settlers and kept vital supply routes open. General Munger died at his farm here in 1850 and is buried next to his wife in the Old Centerville Cemetery.
Address
9955 Yankee Street
Centerville, OH 45458
Location
The Brigadier General Edmund Munger Homestead