Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Morgan County / 18-58 Maple Grove Farm [1]

  • 18-58 Maple Grove House and Barn 18-58 Maple Grove House and Barn
Title, side A
Maple Grove Farm
Text, side A
Rufus P. Stone, grandson of General Rufus Putnam, settled on this 1,000 acre farm and built a wooden farmhouse here in 1818. In 1855, John E. Thomas purchased the original farmhouse and 600 acres from the heirs of Rufus P. Stone. Thomas enlarged the farmhouse into the present manor house with a large sandstone addition in 1857. The farm was known for its extensive orchards and fine livestock, including cattle, sheep, and high quality saddle horses. Thomas, dressed in silk hat, frock coat, and all the finery of the day, rode one of his fine saddle horses around the estate supervising farm laborers. He developed an enclosed nature preserve on the farm for breeding and raising deer that were nearly extinct in Ohio in the 1850s. Thomas later acquired 200 more acres of the original acres for a total of 800 acres.
Address
2415 N Riverview Rd
Malta, OH 43756
Location
Maple Grove Farm, 2415 N Riverview Rd, Malta