Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Morgan County / 3-58 Two River Towns: McConnelsville and Malta [4]

  • 3-58 McConnelsville 3-58 McConnelsville
  • 3-58 Two River Towns: McConnelsville and Malta 3-58 Two River Towns: McConnelsville and Malta
  • 3-58 Two River Towns 3-58 Two River Towns
  • 3-58 Two River Towns 3-58 Two River Towns
Title, side A
Two River Towns: McConnelsville and Malta
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
McConnelsville and Malta are two towns that prospered because of the locks and dams built on the Muskingum River from 1836 to 1841. Settlers came to both towns in 1817. In the 1820s and 1830s, flatboats carried grain, lumber, and livestock down the river. The locks and dams made the Muskingum navigable to steamboats, and both towns grew rapidly. Malta was the home of the Brown-Manly Plow Company, a leading maker of farm equipment in the 1800s. Brown-Manly depended on steamboats to bring in raw materials and to take products to markets. Mills at McConnelsville ground grain and shipped flour north to the Ohio Canal and to the east coast, and south to the Ohio River and the Mississippi trade.
Location
Located at the town of McConnelsville, SR 60 and 37, 49.4 miles from the mouth of the Muskingum River, adjacent to the lock.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.643303, Longitude: -81.845999.
Google map: