Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Muskingum County / 11-60 The Stone Academy [6]

  • 11-60 Easy Parking The marker sits in Front of the academy Jefferson st is in the background 11-60 Easy Parking The marker sits in Front of the academy Jefferson st is in the background
  • 11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCounty 11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCounty
  • 11-60 Back of Marker 11-60 Back of Marker
  • 11-60 Front of Marker 11-60 Front of Marker
  • 11-60 The Stone Academy 11-60 The Stone Academy
  • 11-60 The Stone Academy 11-60 The Stone Academy
Title, side A
The Stone Academy
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Constructed of sandstone quarried from nearby Putnam Hill, the Stone Academy dates to 1809. The Springfield School House Company erected the building, it is believed, to lure the statehouse from Chillicothe. However, when Zanesville was chosen as the capital the following year, the building was used for public functions and for its "intended" purpose as a school. The Ohio Anti-slavery Society held its state conventions here in 1835 and 1839, with prominent abolitionist leader Theodore Weld, among others, in attendance. The Stone Academy became a private residence after 1839. In the 1870s, it was the childhood home of Elizabeth Robins, the famed late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century actress, playwright, author, and activist. The Stone Academy was donated to the Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County in 1981.
Address
115 Jefferson Street
Zanesville, OH 43701
Location
Stone Academy on Jefferson St - marker on Putnam Ave
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.931493, Longitude: -82.005460.
Google map: