Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Butler County / 25-9 Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument [15]

  • 25-9 Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Marker 25-9 25-9 Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Marker 25-9
  • 25-9 Monument from west shore of Great Miami with High Street bridge to left and County Courthouse behind Monument 25-9 Monument from west shore of Great Miami with High Street bridge to left and County Courthouse behind Monument
  • 25-9 Monument entrance 25-9 Monument entrance
  • 25-9 Carving inside above entry 25-9 Carving inside above entry
  • 25-9 Stained glass window with Great Seal of Ohio 25-9 Stained glass window with Great Seal of Ohio
  • 25-9 Plaque memorializing USS Maine 25-9 Plaque memorializing USS Maine
  • 25-9 Stained glass window of women waiting for soldiers to return 25-9 Stained glass window of women waiting for soldiers to return
  • 25-9 Stained glass showing women tending to wounded 25-9 Stained glass showing women tending to wounded
  • 25-9 Exterior with marker 25-9 Exterior with marker
  • 25-9 Marker 25-9 Marker
  • 25-9 Soldier atop monument 25-9 Soldier atop monument
  • 25-9 Plan of Ft. Hamilton, which stood just east of Monument 25-9 Plan of Ft. Hamilton, which stood just east of Monument
  • 25-9 Monument from the east 25-9 Monument from the east
  • 25-9 Marker side B 25-9 Marker side B
  • 25-9 Stained Glass in Ceiling 25-9 Stained Glass in Ceiling
Title, side A
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Title, side B
Victory, the Jewel of the Soul
Text, side A
The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is near the center of the site of Fort Hamilton, built in 1791 and named in honor of Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury in President George Washington's cabinet. Featured, are two large, colorful windows that recognize the contributions of Butler County women during the Civil War. Featured speaker at the July 4, 1906, dedication was Governor Andrew L. Harris, a Butler County native and Civil War veteran. His name is one of the more than 4,300 carved into the interior marble walls.
Text, side B
The statue atop the monument is officially entitled "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul," but is better known as "Billy Yank," the name given the common Union soldier during the Civil War (1861-1865). The 17-foot, 3,500-pound bronze figure is the work of Rudolph Thiem, a local artist whose design was selected in national competition. The soldier's informal pose represents his reaction to victory and peace at the end of the Civil War. His right foot is on an unexploded shell, while his right hand clasps his musket. His cap is uplifted in his left hand. His mouth is open as he shouts "Hurrah!" at the realization that fighting has ended. The statue was placed on the Monument in December 1904.
Address
1 South Monument Avenue
Hamilton, OH 45011
Location
Butler County Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.400756, Longitude: -84.564600.
Google map: