Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ottawa County / 2-62 Johnson's Island [13]

  • 2-62 Gaydos Dr. Turn right here 2-62 Gaydos Dr. Turn right here
  • 2-62 The Marker 2-62 The Marker
  • 2-62 Pay two bucks to get on island 2-62 Pay two bucks to get on island
  • 2-62 Marker--Same on Both Sides 2-62 Marker--Same on Both Sides
  • 2-62 Johnsons Island Cemetery 2-62 Johnsons Island Cemetery
  • 2-62 Johnsons Island Cemetery 2-62 Johnsons Island Cemetery
  • 2-62 Johnsons Island 2-62 Johnsons Island
  • 2-62 Johnson's Island 2-62 Johnson's Island
  • 2-62 Statue at Johnsons Island 2-62 Statue at Johnsons Island
  • 2-62 Statue at Johnsons Island 2-62 Statue at Johnsons Island
  • 2-62 Johnsons Island Marker 2-62 Johnsons Island Marker
  • 2-62 Johnson's Island 2-62 Johnson's Island
  • 2-62 Confederate Cemetery 2-62 Confederate Cemetery
Title, side A
Johnson's Island
Title, side B
Unknown
Text, side A
Military Prison Camp In 1861 the United States Army established a prisoner of war camp on Johnson's Island, approximately 1 mile south of this point. The camp, which housed captured Confederate officers, was maintained until 1865 when it was dismantled. The camp cemetery contains the graves of 206 men who died as a result of disease, wounds, or by execution while incarcerated.
Text, side B
Unknown
Location
At the intersection of Bay Shore Road and the road leading to the causeway, Port Clinton
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.514556, Longitude: -82.733629.
Google map: