Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Butler County / 26-9 1858 Morgan Township House [5]

  • 26-9 Side A of marker 26-9 Side A of marker
  • 26-9 Side B of marker 26-9 Side B of marker
  • 26-9 The meeting house 26-9 The meeting house
  • 26-9 The Morgan Township House, Nov. 2009 26-9 The Morgan Township House, Nov. 2009
  • 26-9 The Setting, Nov. 2009 26-9 The Setting, Nov. 2009
Title, side A
1858 Morgan Township House
Title, side B
Copperheadism in Butler County
Text, side A
On April 20, 1857, the trustees of Morgan Township met in Okeana to obtain a lot for the township house. From a quarter mill tax levy, $850 was budgeted for a house and lot. Money expended on the project included $50 for the lot, $650 for the construction of the building, $41 for fencing, $12.60 for twelve chairs, and $10.25 for a table. Since its completion in 1858, this meeting house has been used for trustee meetings, a voting precinct, village singing schools and concerts, public school, bank, and township garage. The trustees moved to a new building across the street in 1972 and into their Chapel Road complex in 2000.
Text, side B
By the early summer of 1863, many Ohioans had become dissatisfied with what seemed a protracted Civil War. They opposed the administration of President Abraham Lincoln and the policy of a national military draft and were alarmed by what they saw as an invasion of their civil liberties. This was in part fueled by the arrest of Clement Vallandigham, future Democratic candidate for Governor, for publicly criticizing the war. He was convicted of sedition by a military commission and exiled by the President. On July 17, 1863, those unfriendly to the Civil War (Copperheads) from Morgan, Ross, Reily, and Hanover townships met at the Morgan Township House to organize the Butler County Mutual Protection Company. Copperheads from Franklin County, Indiana, joined the company to protest the draft and the president's handling of the war. The company was short-lived, however, as similar antiwar organizations flourished in the region.
Address
Okeana Drewersburg Road
Okeana, OH 45053
Location
1858 Township House