Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ottawa County / 6-62 The Keeper's House [17]

  • 6-62 The Marker 6-62 The Marker
  • 6-62 The Marker off the road 6-62 The Marker off the road
  • 6-62 Front of house 6-62 Front of house
  • 6-62 View from the rear 6-62 View from the rear
  • 6-62 On the front of the house 6-62 On the front of the house
  • 6-62 Marker 6-62 Marker
  • 6-62 Lighthouse and keeper house 6-62 Lighthouse and keeper house
  • 6-62 Marblehead Lighthouse 6-62 Marblehead Lighthouse
  • 6-62 Marblehead Lighthouse, Ottawa County 6-62 Marblehead Lighthouse, Ottawa County
  • 6-62 The Keeper's House 6-62 The Keeper's House
  • 6-62 The Keepers House and Marker 6-62 The Keepers House and Marker
  • 6-62 The Keepers Marker 6-62 The Keepers Marker
  • 6-62 Steve, Linda, Janine and Steve at the Keepers House 6-62 Steve, Linda, Janine and Steve at the Keepers House
  • 6-62 The Keeper's House 6-62 The Keeper's House
  • 6-62 Marblehead Lighthouse, Ottawa County 6-62 Marblehead Lighthouse, Ottawa County
Title, side A
The Keeper's House
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Built in 1822, this native limestone structure was the home of Benajah Wolcott, first keeper of the Marblehead Lighthouse (originally called the Sandusky Bay Light), and his second wife, Rachel Miller Wolcott. Benajah maintained the lighthouse from 1822 until his death ten years later. After Benajah's passing the U.S. Government appointed Rachel as the keeper, making her the first female lighthouse keeper on the Great Lakes. The building is the oldest known residence still standing in Ottawa County and is a fine example of a "hall-and-parlor house," an early American home design.
Address
9999 Bay Shore Road
Marblehead, OH 43440
Location
9999 Bay Shore Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.514600, Longitude: -82.741100.
Google map: