Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Perry County / 7-64 General Philip Henry Sheridan [6]

  • 7-64 Sheridan Monument 7-64 Sheridan Monument
  • 7-64 Sheridan and His Men 7-64 Sheridan and His Men
  • 7-64 Major General Philip H. Sheridan 7-64 Major General Philip H. Sheridan
  • 7-64 Philip H. Sheridan Home 7-64 Philip H. Sheridan Home
  • 7-64 General Philip Henry Sheridan 7-64 General Philip Henry Sheridan
  • 7-64 General Philip Henry Sheridan 7-64 General Philip Henry Sheridan
Title, side A
General Philip Henry Sheridan
Text, side A
Philip Sheridan was most likely born in County Cavan, Ireland in 1831, but records do not indicate his actual birthplace. His family moved to Somerset when Philip was a child and lived down the avenue from this site. His family later owned the house across the street. His military interest was inspired by "Muster" day and frequent visits from a young West Pointer named William T. Sherman. Sheridan graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1853 and served on the Western Frontier Indian campaigns prior to the Civil War. In 1862, Sheridan became Colonel of the Second Michigan Calvary. At Stones River, Tennessee, he commanded a Division of the Twentieth Corps and stubbornly held General William S. Rosecrans' right flank, distinguishing himself in battle. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
(continued from other side) At Missionary Ridge, Tennessee, Sheridan's men took the "impregnable" heights, further proving his ability to command. In 1864, General Ulysses S. Grant brought Sheridan east, where he fought General J.E.B. Stuart's vaunted troopers to a draw throughout the summer. His Sixth and Nineteenth Corps cleared Virginia's Shenandoah Valley and defeated the forces of General Jubal Early at Winchester, Fisher's Hill, and the battle at Cedar Creek. The victory at Cedar Creek occurred just before the 1864 presidential election, which helped assure Lincoln's reelection. In addition, Sheridan later blocked Lee's retreat at Appomattox. After the war he served as military governor, military observer in Europe, and commander of the Division of Missouri during the Indian Wars. He became General of the Army in 1884 and died in 1888. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Most of his family is buried down the street in Holy Trinity Cemetery.
Location
SW Corner of S. Columbus St. & Sheridan Ave.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.806154, Longitude: -82.298478.
Google map: