Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Perry County / 8-64 Zion Reformed Church [8]

  • 8-64 Zion Reformed Church 8-64 Zion Reformed Church
  • 8-64 Zion Reformed Church 8-64 Zion Reformed Church
  • 8-64 8-64
  • 8-64 8-64
  • 8-64 8-64
  • 8-64 Zion Cemetery 8-64 Zion Cemetery
  • 8-64 Zion Church Marker 8-64 Zion Church Marker
  • 8-64 Zion Church and Marker 8-64 Zion Church and Marker
Title, side A
Zion Reformed Church
Text, side A
Zion (Ribel's) Church was built on this site in 1808. The log structure was located in the Zion Ridge Cemetery, adjacent to the first school in Thorn Township. The congregation of Zion Reformed Church is the oldest in Perry County still in existence. The church was officially organized in 1806 when the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations joined together in building the first church in Perry County. They purchased this land on June 30, 1806, and shared the building, alternating Sundays, until 1911. In 1803, Reverend Johannes Christian Koenig (John King) became the first minister to settle in Perry County and became the founding minister for the German Reformed congregation. In 1805, Reverend Wilhelm Georg Forster (William Foster) was the first Lutheran minister to settle in Perry County and was the founding minister for the Lutherans. The present Zion Reformed Church was built across the street from the original church in 1910.
Address
8000 High Point Road
Thornville, OH 43076
Location
NULL
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.856383, Longitude: -82.392600.
Google map: