Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Pike County / 2-66 Pike County Court House [3]

  • 2-66 Marker 2-66 Marker
  • 2-66 Courthouse and Marker 2-66 Courthouse and Marker
  • 2-66 Pike County Courthouse 2-66 Pike County Courthouse
Title, side A
Pike County Court House
Text, side A
The Pike County Courthouse was at Piketon from 1815-1861 when county residents voted to move the county seat to Waverly. The Waverly Public Square was donated to the county by the Meschech Downing family in September, 1861. A committee was appointed to oversee the courthouse construction and the completed structure was deeded to the county in December 1866 for $5. An addition was added to the front in 1909. Inside, the common pleas courtroom houses busts of entrepreneur-businessman and first millionaire of Pike County, James Emmitt, and his wife, Louisa, and a mural of "Blind Justice" painted by late local lawyer, W. T. Reed.
Address
100 E. 2nd St.
Waverly, OH 45690
Location
Pike County Court House 100 E. 2nd
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.126049, Longitude: -82.984300.
Google map: