Home / Pike County / 3-66 The Emmitt House 
- 3-66 Emmitt House demolition, front of Inn
- 3-66 Emmitt House Inn sign
- 3-66 Rear of the end, facing Rt. 23
- 3-66 Where Emmitt House used to stand
- 3-66 The Emmitt House
- 3-66 James Emmitt
ALERT: This marker has been permanently removed. For historical and reference purposes, this listing will remain on our website. A locally produced marker is now located near the original marker site.
- Title, side A
- The Emmitt House
- Title, side B
- James Emmitt
- Text, side A
- Built for Waverly industrialist James Emmitt in 1861, The Emmitt House was partly the work of carpenter Madison Hemings, who claimed parentage by President Thomas Jefferson. It served as a tavern and store for travelers on the Ohio-Erie Canal that passed directly in front of the hotel. The Emmitt House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as a key part of the Waverly Canal District, which encompasses many of the canal-era residential and commercial buildings in the downtown area. It underwent a year-long restoration project in 1989 that retained its historical flavor and design. It continues to provide hospitality to both residents and travelers.
- Text, side B
- The son of German and Irish immigrants who settled here in 1816, James Emmitt was a prominent figure in the economic growth of Waverly and the lower Scioto valley for much of the 19th century. After the Ohio-Erie Canal opened in 1832, Emmitt prospered by shipping grain to Cleveland, and the early success of his distilleries in Waverly and Chillicothe led to far-reaching business interests. Using his political influence, he successfully campaigned to move the county seat from Piketon to Waverly in 1860, building the courthouse, a road between Waverly and Piketon, and a bridge over the Scioto River with his own money. Emmitt served in the Ohio Senate from 1867 to 1870. His home stands three blocks north.
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Pike County Convention and Visitors Bureau, and The Ohio Historical Society
- Formerly the SW corner of N Market Street and W Emmitt Street/US 23