Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Preble County / 8-68 Preble County Courthouse [10]

  • 8-68 Preble County Courthouse 8-68 Preble County Courthouse
  • 8-68 Courthouse Skylight 8-68 Courthouse Skylight
  • 8-68 Preble Co. Courthouse Skylight 8-68 Preble Co. Courthouse Skylight
  • 8-68 First Floor Staircase 8-68 First Floor Staircase
  • 8-68 Third Floor & Skylight 8-68 Third Floor & Skylight
  • 8-68 Third Floor & Skylight 8-68 Third Floor & Skylight
  • 8-68 Third Floor View 8-68 Third Floor View
  • 8-68 Marker Side A 8-68 Marker Side A
  • 8-68 Marker Side B 8-68 Marker Side B
  • 8-68 View from Street 8-68 View from Street
Title, side A
Preble County Courthouse
Text, side A
The current Preble County Courthouse, the third courthouse erected on this site, was designed by noted architect and Preble County native Harvey Heistand. Its cornerstone was laid on March 17, 1917, with a copper box containing a bible, historic papers, and other memorabilia placed under the stone. Upon completion, the building was dedicated on September 10, 1918, with three thousand people attending the ceremony. Designed in the Neo-Classical style, the exterior was constructed of Indiana Bedford limestone with ten immense columns that extend upward from the second floor. Above the colonnade, a dentiled entablature is inscribed, Salus Populi Suprema Lex, meaning "The health of the people is the supreme law." The fa├žade is enhanced with a bricked courtyard flanked by balustraded terraces. [continued on other side]
Text, side B
[continued from other side] At the time of its construction, the interior offices were fashioned with terrazzo floors, built-in countertops, and walnut-veneered doors. Much of the interior, including walls, banisters, and stairs, were made of granite and Pennsylvania marble, pink for the walls and gray for the floors. The courthouse incorporates a myriad of ornamental and architectural elements, but perhaps the most remarkable feature is the 2,000 square foot skylight designed to flood the first and second floors with natural sunlight. No other building in Preble County compares with the grandeur or architectural complexity as the Preble County Courthouse. Since 1918, the Preble County Courthouse has stood as an enduring source of pride for all the people of the county.
Address
101 E Main St
Eaton, OH 45320
Location
Preble County Courthouse, 101 E Main St
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.743760, Longitude: -84.636250.
Google map: