Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Sandusky County / 8-72 Spiegel Grove [17]

  • 8-72 Home of R.B.Hayes 8-72 Home of R.B.Hayes
  • 8-72 Home of R.B.Hayes- Another View 8-72 Home of R.B.Hayes- Another View
  • 8-72 Museum & Library 8-72 Museum & Library
  • 8-72 Annual Sleigh Rides 8-72 Annual Sleigh Rides
  • 8-72 Spiegel Grove 8-72 Spiegel Grove
  • 8-72 Marker 8-72 Marker
  • 8-72 East view of the Hayes Home. 8-72 East view of the Hayes Home.
  • 8-72 The Hayes Museum 8-72 The Hayes Museum
  • 8-72 Tomb of 19th U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes 8-72 Tomb of 19th U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes
  • 8-72 Close-up of the original gates used at the White House, now gracing the entrance to Spiegel Grove. 8-72 Close-up of the original gates used at the White House, now gracing the entrance to Spiegel Grove.
  • 8-72 Speigel Grove 8-72 Speigel Grove
  • 8-72 Spiegel Grove 8-72 Spiegel Grove
  • 8-72 Spiegel Grove 8-72 Spiegel Grove
  • 8-72 Spiegel Grove Marker 8-72 Spiegel Grove Marker
  • 8-72 Spiegel Grove Marker 8-72 Spiegel Grove Marker
Title, side A
Spiegel Grove
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
The twenty-five acre estate Spiegel Grove was the home of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, the 19th president of the United States. Spiegel Grove received its name from the German word "spiegel," meaning mirror, describing pools that collect beneath the trees after a rainstorm. Hayes's uncle, Sardis Birchard, a Fremont merchant, built the home on this site in 1863. The Hayeses moved to Spiegel Grove after Hayes's second term as Ohio governor ended in 1873. They inherited the estate in 1874. The family left Fremont after Hayes's election as Ohio governor in 1875, and U.S. president in 1876. They returned to Spiegel Grove in 1881. The Hayeses expanded the home in 1880 and 1889. Lucy and Rutherford Hayes died at Spiegel Grove in 1889 and 1893 respectively. They were reburied at Spiegel Grove in 1915. Their children donated the property to the state of Ohio in 1909 in order to establish the nation's first presidential library.
Location
Corner of Buckland & Hayes Avenues