Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Shelby County / 2-75 The Shelby County Courthouse [7]

  • 2-75 View of marker and courthouse from flagpole 2-75 View of marker and courthouse from flagpole
  • 2-75 One of four courthouse doorways 2-75 One of four courthouse doorways
  • 2-75 Courthouse 2-75 Courthouse
  • 2-75 Marker 2-75 Marker
  • 2-75 Marker 2-75 Marker
  • 2-75 Shelby County Courthouse 2-75 Shelby County Courthouse
  • 2-75 The Shelby County Courthouse 2-75 The Shelby County Courthouse
Title, side A
The Shelby County Courthouse
Text, side A
In 1819, the State of Ohio formally recognized Shelby County, named for Isaac Shelby, veteran of the American Revolution and former governor of Kentucky. The first county seat was located in Hardin, but was moved to Sidney in 1820 to centralize county government. The corner stone of the present courthouse was laid on July 4, 1881. George Maetzel from Columbus served as architect and superintendent of construction. Modeled after the county courthouse in Licking County, the project was completed in 1883 at a cost of $200,000. Materials, such as limestone, sandstone, and marble arrived by canal boat. The French Second Empire style building has four symmetrical sides facing the four points of the compass, each side with pillared porticoes approached by broad stone steps. A figure of Lady Justice holding the scales of equal justice surmounts each facade. The roof is classical mansard, and the center170-foot tower is of galvanized iron, encompassing four clocks.
Location
Poplar St, Main Ave, Court St, Ohio Ave.
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.284872, Longitude: -84.155581.
Google map: