Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Stark County / 18-76 William McKinley [9]

  • 18-76 William McKinley 18-76 William McKinley
  • 18-76 William McKinley 2 18-76 William McKinley 2
  • 18-76 William McKinley During Front Porch Campaign 18-76 William McKinley During Front Porch Campaign
  • 18-76 William McKinley During Front Porch Campaign 18-76 William McKinley During Front Porch Campaign
  • 18-76 William McKinley During Front Porch Campaign 18-76 William McKinley During Front Porch Campaign
  • 18-76 William and Ida McKinley 18-76 William and Ida McKinley
  • 18-76 The home is gone now, with the Stark County District Library on the site today 18-76 The home is gone now, with the Stark County District Library on the site today
  • 18-76 A lady reading the Marker at the Library entrance 18-76 A lady reading the Marker at the Library entrance
  • 18-76 The building in the background is the old McKinley High School 18-76 The building in the background is the old McKinley High School
Title, side A
William McKinley
Title, side B
William McKinley
Text, side A
William McKinley's house, once located at this site, was the scene of his 1896 front porch campaign for President of the United States. During the campaign McKinley addressed about 750,000 people who came to his home in Canton. McKinley's public service began when he volunteered at the start of the Civil War in 1861 as a private with the Union Army. He was discharged as a major after four years of service. Later McKinley became President of the Canton Y.M.C.A. and the Stark County Prosecutor. McKinley served in the United States House of Representatives between 1877 and 1891 and was then elected Governor of Ohio. He helped to found the Canton Public Library. McKinley won presidential elections in 1896 and 1900. His administration was characterized by high tariffs, money backed by gold, national prosperity, and the Spanish-American War. In 1901 an anarchist shot and killed President McKinley.
Address
715 Market Avenue North
Canton, OH 44702
Location
715 Mark Avenue, N.