Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 15-77 The Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal [9]

  • 15-77 Park Sign 15-77 Park Sign
  • 15-77 Overlook Structure and canal 15-77 Overlook Structure and canal
  • 15-77 The Setting- redone 15-77 The Setting- redone
  • 15-77 The Bike Trail & The Cuyahoga River 15-77 The Bike Trail & The Cuyahoga River
  • 15-77 P & O Canal;  Kent, Ohio 15-77 P & O Canal; Kent, Ohio
  • 15-77 #1- The Setting- Munroe Falls Brust Park 15-77 #1- The Setting- Munroe Falls Brust Park
  • 15-77 #2- The Marker 15-77 #2- The Marker
  • 15-77 #3- The Bike Trail & The Cuyahoga Rive 15-77 #3- The Bike Trail & The Cuyahoga Rive
  • 15-77 #4- P & O Slackwater Dam and Lock; Kent, Ohio 15-77 #4- P & O Slackwater Dam and Lock; Kent, Ohio
Title, side A
The Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Officially opening on August 4, 1840, the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal followed the route of present railroad tracks through Munroe Falls approximately one thousand feet south of this marker. This 82-mile long "feeder canal" connected the Beaver Valley canal system at New Castle, Pennsylvania with the Ohio and Erie Canal in Akron, thereby linking Pittsburgh with Cleveland and the western Great Lakes. Many communities along the canal's path became linked to national and world commerce through their establishment as canal ports. New England investor Edmund Munroe purchased property and water rights along the canal's proposed route, and in 1837 established the Munroe Falls Manufacturing Company. The village of Munroe Falls grew around the manufacturing company site and was incorporated on October 26, 1838. When this section of the canal closed in 1869, the waterway through Munroe Falls was filled and railroad tracks were laid over its path. A portion of the canal bed is still visible east of State Route 91.
Location
Just nort of the Cuyahoga River in Brust Park, between the intersection of N Main and N River and Falls River Rd
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.085660, Longitude: -81.262980.
Google map: