Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 41-77 Middlebury Cemetery [5]

  • 41-77 No Marker ? 41-77 No Marker ?
  • 41-77 Locked Gate 41-77 Locked Gate
  • 41-77 Another View 41-77 Another View
  • 41-77 The Setting 41-77 The Setting
  • 41-77 Marker #41-77 41-77 Marker #41-77
Title, side A
Middlebury Cemetery
Text, side A
This burying ground was the first public cemetery located within Akron's boundaries. It was also known as the "Old Cemetery" and the "Newton Street Cemetery." Deacon Titus Chapman donated this land in 1808 as a burying ground, and he was probably the first person interred here when he died later that year. Early Akron settlers and their descendents, including veterans of the American Revolution, are buried here. Some of the gravestones were among the finest brought to the Western Reserve from Connecticut. The Middlebury Cemetery was used until 1853.
Address
1245 Newton St
Akron, OH 44278
Location
Middlebury Cemetery