Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Trumbull County / 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge [8]

  • 11-78 Photo Taken 3/6/07 11-78 Photo Taken 3/6/07
  • 11-78 Covered Bridge 11-78 Covered Bridge
  • 11-78 Marker 11-78 Marker
  • 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge
  • 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge
  • 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge
  • 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge
  • 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge 11-78 Newton Falls Covered Bridge
Title, side A
Newton Falls Covered Bridge
Text, side A
The Newton Falls covered bridge was built over the east branch of the Mahoning River around 1831. A crosswalk was added in 1921 for children crossing the bridge on their way to the school on Center Street. The Newton Falls bridge is considered the second oldest existing covered bridge in Ohio, the oldest covered bridge in use on its original site, the only covered bridge in the state with a covered crosswalk, and the last surviving covered bridge in Trumbull County. Built on the Town Lattice truss plan, the bridge is 123 feet long and twenty-four feet wide. It has a clear span of 101 1/2 feet and a sixteen foot-wide roadway. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, the structure is maintained by Trumbull County.
Location
Arlington Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.188020, Longitude: -80.971740.
Google map: