Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Champaign County / 12-11 Kings Creek Baptist Church [6]

  • 12-11 Kings Creek 1 12-11 Kings Creek 1
  • 12-11 Kings Creek 2 12-11 Kings Creek 2
  • 12-11 Kings Creek 3 12-11 Kings Creek 3
  • 12-11 Kings Creek 4 12-11 Kings Creek 4
  • 12-11 Kings Creek 4 12-11 Kings Creek 4
  • 12-11 Kings Creek 5 12-11 Kings Creek 5
Title, side A
Kings Creek Baptist Church
Text, side A
The founders of what would become the Kings Creek Baptist Church first met on June 29, 1805 in the log home of local residents James and Ann Turner. The Baptist congregation continued to meet in people's homes until 1816 when Taylortown founder John Taylor donated an acre of land to establish a burying site and a meetinghouse. Constructed of logs, this meetinghouse is considered to be the third Baptist church built in Ohio and the Northwest Territory. The original structure was replaced by a more substantial brick building in 1832, and the present Kings Creek Baptist Church was built on the original foundation in 1849. The church features classic Greek design and a grand steeple inspired by the work of the English architect Sir Christopher Wren. An educational wing was added in 1969. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
(continued from other side) The Kings Creek Baptist Church and site is known for several prominent events. Richard Stanhope, an African American who served as General George Washington's personal valet at Valley Forge, was an early member. Church members also expressed a strong missionary spirit as they helped build fellowships in nearby Urbana, Mechanicsburg, Mingo, DeGraff, and Bellefontaine. Surrounding the church is the cemetery that opened in December 1819 with the burial of early church founder Ann Turner. Veterans of every American conflict from the American Revolution to the Vietnam War are interred here. The cemetery is one of the oldest in Champaign County while the church is the oldest Baptist church in the Western Baptist Association of Ohio and oldest house of worship in the county.
Address
1250 Kennard-KingsCreek Road
Urbana, OH 43078
Location
1250 Kennard-KingsCreek Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.161617, Longitude: -83.725711.
Google map: