Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Warren County / 10-83 Harveysburg [9]

  • 10-83 Harveysburg Side A 10-83 Harveysburg Side A
  • 10-83 Harveysburg Side B 10-83 Harveysburg Side B
  • 10-83 Harveysburg School and Marker 10-83 Harveysburg School and Marker
  • 10-83 Harveysburg School 10-83 Harveysburg School
  • 10-83 First Free Black School 10-83 First Free Black School
  • 10-83 Harveysburg 8-09-14 10-83 Harveysburg 8-09-14
  • 10-83 Harveysburg School (Marker) 8-09-14 10-83 Harveysburg School (Marker) 8-09-14
  • 10-83 Harveysburg School (Building) 8-09-14 10-83 Harveysburg School (Building) 8-09-14
  • 10-83 Harveysburg(Marker) and Harveysburg School (Building) 8-09-14 10-83 Harveysburg(Marker) and Harveysburg School (Building) 8-09-14
Title, side A
Harveysburg
Title, side B
The Harveysburg School
Text, side A
The Quaker village of Harveysburg was founded in 1829 on land originally a part of Colonel Abraham Buford's Revolutionary War Land Grant. Levi Lukens, a Virginia Quaker, purchased the 1000 - acre survey in 1812 and sold a portion to Rhoden Ham in 1815. Ham then sold a portion of his holdings to William Harvey, a Quaker originally from North Carolina, who developed 47 lots for a village which thrived from its beginnings. Early businesses included grist mills, a tin shop, hardware store, blacksmith shop, a large pork packing plant, a bank, and a dry goods store owned by William Harvey. Its first post office opened in 1839. Harveysburg was incorporated in 1844. The village received its name from a merchant in Cincinnati who told William Harvey that he should add burg to his name and call the place Harveysburg.
Text, side B
In Harveysburg's early years Elizabeth Harvey, wife of Dr. Jesse Harvey, recognized the need to educate African American and Native American children in the area. The Harveys built the Harverysburg School in 1831, which was one of the first schools for such minority children in Ohio and the Northwest Territory. It was supported by the Harveys and members of the Grove Monthly Meeting of Friends. Stephen Wall, a wealthy North Carolina plantation owner, provided funding to relocate eight slave children and their families to Harveysburg for their education at this school. Orindatus S.B. Wall, oldest son of Steven became the first regular commissioned African American captain in the U.S. Army during the Civil War. This school closed in 1909 when classes became too small to continue. In 1976 the Harveysburg Bicentennial Committee purchased the building, restored it, and opened it to the public as a symbol of freedom through education.
Address
23 North St
Harveysburg, OH 45032
Location
First Free Black School of the Midwest Territory