Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Washington County / 5-84 Covered Bridges on the Muskingum River [5]

  • 5-84 Marker Setting 5-84 Marker Setting
  • 5-84 The marker from a distance 8/31/2013 5-84 The marker from a distance 8/31/2013
  • 5-84 The marker 8/31/2013 5-84 The marker 8/31/2013
  • 5-84 Covered Bridge in Washington County 5-84 Covered Bridge in Washington County
  • 5-84 Covered Bridges 5-84 Covered Bridges
Title, side A
Covered Bridges on the Muskingum River
Text, side A
Lowell was the site of one of ten wooden covered bridges, built from 1820 to 1887, that crossed the Muskingum River from Marietta to Coshocton. The Lowell bridge was built in 1881. Bridges were built out of wood because there was plenty of lumber available, and building with wood was easier and cheaper than using stone. Covers protected the timbers from rain. The bridge connected Lowell, on the north side of the river, with the railroad that ran on the south side. This bridge suffered from many mishaps typical of wooden bridges. In 1882 a severe storm blew off the roof. In 1884 a flood washed the bridge off its stone piers. The bridge was restored, only to be destroyed by the 1913 flood, a disaster that removed many bridges on the river. An iron bridge was built on the site. The last covered bridge on the river was at Conesville seven miles south of Coshocton. Built in 1876, the bridge was condemned in 1958 and destroyed by a controlled fire.
Location
In Lowell Off Rt 60 on Lock Street. Follow Brown and white signs for "Lowell Lock and Dam 3"
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.526530, Longitude: -81.505840.
Google map: