Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Wayne County / 2-85 Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill [7]

  • 2-85 The marker 2-85 The marker
  • 2-85 Sign at the entrance off state route 585 2-85 Sign at the entrance off state route 585
  • 2-85 The Mill 2-85 The Mill
  • 2-85 Mill 2-85 Mill
  • 2-85 Marker 2-85 Marker
  • 2-85 Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill 2-85 Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill
  • 2-85 Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill 2-85 Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill
Title, side A
Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill
Text, side A
Johann Mischler (changed to John Mishler), 1852-1930, and his wife Rosina Beyeler Mischler, 1852-1927, were born in Switzerland and came to the United States in 1882. They moved to Smithville in 1887 where John, a weaver by trade, built a mill to produce rugs and carpets on a hand operated timber framed barn beam loom. Three belt driven looms were added in the early 1900s powered by steam and later diesel. About 1915, the weaving mill became the first business in Smithville to be operated by electricity. The mill wove cloth for fruit presses and dishcloths and towels and was the only producer of cheesecloth in the United States for the Swiss cheese industry. It produced 40,000 pounds of cloth per year. John's son Daniel took over the mill in 1930 and moved it a block away to its present location. Charles Norris purchased the mill in 1983. Ten years later, it was purchased and restored by the Smithville Community Historical Society.
Location
381 Mill & 391 Home, E. Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.519420, Longitude: -81.513440.
Google map: