Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Wood County / 12-87 Pemberville Town Hall and Opera House [12]

  • 12-87 ENTERING THE VILLAGE OF PEMBERVILLE 12-87 ENTERING THE VILLAGE OF PEMBERVILLE
  • 12-87 THE TOWN HALL AT THE RIGHT 12-87 THE TOWN HALL AT THE RIGHT
  • 12-87 TOWN HALL AND MARKER 12-87 TOWN HALL AND MARKER
  • 12-87 12-87
  • 12-87 SECOND FLOOR OPERA HOUSE 12-87 SECOND FLOOR OPERA HOUSE
  • 12-87 SECOND FLOOR OPERA HOUSE 12-87 SECOND FLOOR OPERA HOUSE
  • 12-87 SECOND FLOOR OPERA HOUSE 12-87 SECOND FLOOR OPERA HOUSE
  • 12-87 PEMBERVILLE FREEDOM AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY 12-87 PEMBERVILLE FREEDOM AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
  • 12-87 DOWNTOWN PEMBERVILLE 12-87 DOWNTOWN PEMBERVILLE
  • 12-87 Town Hall 12-87 Town Hall
  • 12-87 Marker 12-87 Marker
  • 12-87 Town Hall 12-87 Town Hall
Title, side A
Pemberville Town Hall and Opera House
Text, side A
Completed in 1892 at the height of the region's oil boom, the Pemberville Town Hall followed a late-1800s municipal trend to house many civic functions under one roof. The fire station, jail, and council chambers occupied the ground level, while the entire second floor hosted a public auditorium, or "opera house," that seated 250. The 1897 debut of The Mikado featured new electric lighting. The ornate Opera House was the center of Pemberville's social activities for decades, hosting dances, plays, socials, graduation ceremonies, political meetings, lectures, and husking bees. Traveling companies performed concerts, vaudeville, minstrel, and medicine shows. Following World War II the Opera House fell into disuse. It was restored in 1999 to both its former grandeur and its place in Pemberville's cultural life.
Address
115 Main Street
Pemberville, OH 43450
Location
115 Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.409919, Longitude: -83.460840.
Google map: