Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Wood County / 4-87 Providence Historical District [5]

  • 4-87 Marker 3-2-13 4-87 Marker 3-2-13
  • 4-87 The Marker along Route 24 west of Grand Rapids 4-87 The Marker along Route 24 west of Grand Rapids
  • 4-87 The Marker in front of St.Patrick's Church 4-87 The Marker in front of St.Patrick's Church
  • 4-87 Plaque on the front of St. Patrick's Church 4-87 Plaque on the front of St. Patrick's Church
  • 4-87 St.Patrick's Church 4-87 St.Patrick's Church
Title, side A
Providence Historical District
Text, side A
The town of Providence was born, thrived and died with the Miami & Erie Canal. It was platted in 1835 by French trader Peter Manor, swept by fire in 1846, ravaged by cholera in 1854, and finally unincorporated in 1928. Today, only the Irish builders' St. Patrick's Church (1845), the oldest in the Toledo Diocese; the cemetery; and Peter Manor's house (1845) remain. The Providence Dam, built in 1838 to create a water supply for the canal's remaining 25 miles to Toledo, was rebuilt in 1908. Peter Manor's mill stands downstream one-half mile at Canal Lock #9, where it was built in 1822, rebuilt in 1846, and operates today as the Isaac Ludwig Historic Mill. The National Historic Register of Historic Places listed this district in 1975, the mill in 1974.
Location
1 mile from Canal lock 9
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.418300, Longitude: -83.873033.
Google map: