Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Champaign County / 6-11 Cedar Bog Nature Preserve [6]

  • 6-11 Marker 6-11 Marker
  • 6-11 The Setting 6-11 The Setting
  • 6-11 The Boardwalk 6-11 The Boardwalk
  • 6-11 With Interpretive Signs 6-11 With Interpretive Signs
  • 6-11 Cedar Bogs 6-11 Cedar Bogs
  • 6-11 Swamp Metalmark Butterfly 6-11 Swamp Metalmark Butterfly
Title, side A
Cedar Bog Nature Preserve
Text, side A
In 1942 Cedar Bog became the first nature preserve in Ohio purchased with state funds. Efforts to set this wetland aside began in the 1920s through the efforts of Florence Murdock and her daughter. Efforts intensified in the mid 1930s with help from Walter Brigham Evens, Jr., and finally came to fruition in 1941 due to the interests of Champaign County Common Pleas Judge Owens, Governor John Bicker, and Dr. Edward S. Thomas of the Ohio Historical Society. This relatively small parcel is an outstanding example of a prairie/fen complex known as Cedar Swamp that once covered 7,000 acres of the Mad River Valley. Approximately one quarter of the plant species in Ohio are found here. Cedar Bog also has a large number of rare species, two of which, the Small Yellow Lady's Slipper Orchid and Prairie Valerian, occur in Ohio only at Cedar Bog or one other site.
Address
980 Woodburn Road
Urbana, OH 43078
Location
980 Woodburn Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.055680, Longitude: -83.792168.
Google map: