Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Clark County / 3-12 The Birthplace of 4-H [11]

  • 3-12 Marker 3-12 Marker
  • 3-12 Marker #3-12 3-12 Marker #3-12
  • 3-12 Closer 3-12 Closer
  • 3-12 A. B. Graham Building 3-12 A. B. Graham Building
  • 3-12 The Setting 3-12 The Setting
  • 3-12 #3-12 The Birthplace of 4-H a 3-12 #3-12 The Birthplace of 4-H a
  • 3-12 #3-12 The Birthplace of 4-H b 3-12 #3-12 The Birthplace of 4-H b
  • 3-12 Members of the Springfield Township Boys and Girls' Agricultural Club 3-12 Members of the Springfield Township Boys and Girls' Agricultural Club
  • 3-12 Members of the Springfield Township Boys and Girls' Agricultural Club 3-12 Members of the Springfield Township Boys and Girls' Agricultural Club
  • 3-12 Boys Agriculture Club Members 3-12 Boys Agriculture Club Members
  • 3-12 Albert Belmont Graham 3-12 Albert Belmont Graham
Title, side A
The Birthplace of 4-H
Text, side A
A. B. Graham, superintendent of Springfield Township Rural schools in Clark County, established the Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club, which revolutionized agricultural education and non-formal youth development methods. The first meeting of the club, said to be the nation's first farm club for young people, was held at this site on January 15, 1902 in the basement of the Clark County Courthouse. This was the start of what would be called a 4-H Club a few years later. Through the years, the overall objective of A.B. Graham and 4-H has remained the same: the development of youth as individuals and as responsible and productive citizens.
Address
31 N. Limestone Street
Springfield, OH 45503
Location
A.B. Graham Building, SW Corner of N. Limestone Street & E. Columbia Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.925658, Longitude: -83.808495.
Google map: