Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Clinton County / 5-14 Wilmington College [13]

  • 5-14 Marker Site 5-14 Marker Site
  • 5-14 Wilmington College 5-14 Wilmington College
  • 5-14 Wilmington College 5-14 Wilmington College
  • 5-14 Wilmington College 5-14 Wilmington College
  • 5-14 Wilmington College 5-14 Wilmington College
  • 5-14 Wilmington College 5-14 Wilmington College
  • 5-14 Friends Meeting House, Wilmington 5-14 Friends Meeting House, Wilmington
  • 5-14 Wilmington College Marker 5-14 Wilmington College Marker
  • 5-14 Wilmington College Marker 5-14 Wilmington College Marker
  • 5-14 Wilmington College Marker 5-14 Wilmington College Marker
  • 5-14 Wilmington College Marker 5-14 Wilmington College Marker
  • 5-14 Wilmington College Marker 5-14 Wilmington College Marker
  • 5-14 Wilmington College Marker 5-14 Wilmington College Marker
Title, side A
Wilmington College
Text, side A
The 19th century saw a great migration of Quakers from the Carolinas and from eastern Ohio to southwestern Ohio. Attracted by rich soil and abundance of fresh water and springs, Quakers became the dominant religious group in the region. Clinton County was referred to as the "Quaker County of Ohio." In August 1870, members of the Society of Friends purchased at an auction an unfinished building on 14 acres of land and founded Wilmington College, the first Quaker institution of higher learning established in Ohio. College Hall is the original structure and the first classes commenced in April 1871. Wilmington's importance as a Quaker center grew with the founding of Wilmington College, which houses the Quaker Collection of historical, literary, and genealogical publications in the Watson Library.
Address
College Hall, Wilmington College
Wilmington, OH 45177
Location
E side of College Hall, located in the SE corner of College Street and Fife Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.444795, Longitude: -83.817977.
Google map: