Home / Columbiana County / 3-15 Canal Tunnels 
- Title, side A
- Canal Tunnels
- Text, side A
- Southeast of this point are the Big and Little tunnels. They were links in the 73-mile Sandy and Beaver Canal which connected the Ohio River with the Ohio and Erie Canal. Shifts of Irish laborers worked night and day with hand drills and blasting powder to cut the 1,060-yard Big Tunnel which opened for commercial use in 1850 and was abandoned two years later, a victim of the railroad.
- Columbiana County Historical Society, The Canal Society of Ohio and The Ohio Historical Society
- Across the road just E of 30992 US 30
Hanoverton, OH 44423