Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Columbiana County / 4-15 First Paper Mill [7]

  • 35 108207 35 108207
  • Marker 4-15 setting, looking west Marker 4-15 setting, looking west
  • 4-15 Marker Side A 4-15 Marker Side A
  • 4-15 Marker Side B 4-15 Marker Side B
  • 4-15 Marker 5-19-12 4-15 Marker 5-19-12
  • 4-15 Little Beaver Creek Bridge Marker 5-19-12 4-15 Little Beaver Creek Bridge Marker 5-19-12
  • 4-15 Beaver Creek, Columbiana County 4-15 Beaver Creek, Columbiana County
Title, side A
First Paper Mill
Title, side B
Little Beaver Creek Bridge
Text, side A
The first paper mill in Ohio and the Northwest Territory was established in the valley below in 1807 by John Coulter of Virginia, Jacob Bowman and John Beaver of Pennsylvania. The mill was in St. Clair Township on the East bank of Little Beaver Creek. Called "The Ohio Paper Mill," the firm produced handmade rag paper in a stone building until the early 1830's. The firm's watermark was a spread eagle, the word OHIO and the initials of the proprietors, C B & B.
Text, side B
Near this place in Liverpool Township where the old road, from New Lisbon to Georgetown, Pennsylvania, now abandoned, crossed Little Beaver Creek, is the site of the earliest known covered bridge in Ohio. The abutment, still standing on the west bank of the creek, is the only physical evidence remaining of this structure built in 1809 by John Bever and Thomas Moore. Erected as a toll bridge, authorized by an act of Legislature, it was donated to Columbiana County about 1832.
Address
Calcutta Smiths Fairy Road
East Liverpool, OH 43920
Location
NW of the Ohio-Pennsylvania line
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.650200, Longitude: -80.521800.
Google map: