Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Crawford County / 10-17 Crestline Community Service Center, 1942-1946 [2]

  • 10-17 The Marker 10-17 The Marker
  • 10-17 The setting 10-17 The setting
Title, side A
Crestline Community Service Center, 1942-1946
Text, side A
From 1942 until 1946, members of local churches and two railroad auxiliaries operated a community-based free canteen for passing troops on the platform of the Pennsylvania Railroad station. A grateful region honored approximately 1.2 million of the nation's sons and daughters with welcoming words, sandwiches, pies, cakes, cookies, fruits, drinks, and other sundries. Staffed and funded entirely by volunteers, donations came from many communities in eight counties. Crestline's children donated their pennies to pay for construction of a larger canteen in 1943. Volunteers met as many as 25 trains daily. They served troops on passenger trains, troop trains, and hospital trains and new recruits and returning veterans as well as troops from allied countries on their trips to and from Europe or the Pacific. Throughout World War II, many other canteens were created across the nation, including many in Ohio. The Crestline region's reputation was enhanced immeasurably by the volunteer's service.
Address
100 N Seltzer St
Crestline, OH 44827
Location
City Hall, SW corner of N. Seltzer Street and Union Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.785103, Longitude: -82.736685.
Google map: