Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 11-18 Pilgrim's Rest [5]

  • 11-18 #1- Replacement marker 11-18 #1- Replacement marker
  • 11-18 #2- On The Towpath 11-18 #2- On The Towpath
  • 11-18 #3- Marker --North of Canal Visitor Center -CVNP 11-18 #3- Marker --North of Canal Visitor Center -CVNP
  • 11-18 #4- Similar Information 11-18 #4- Similar Information
  • 11-18 David Zeisberger 11-18 David Zeisberger
Title, side A
Pilgrim's Rest
Text, side A
Returning to Ohio from Detroit following the massacre of Christian Indians at Gnadenhutten in 1782, Moravian missionaries David Zeisberger and John Heckewelder settled their Indian congregation at this site because it was still too dangerous to return to the Tuscarawas valley. The village was named Pilgerruh, or "Pilgrim's Rest." Hostile Indians forced this mission to move to present Erie County.
Location
Button Road at Tinkers Creek & Cuyahoga River