Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 19-18 University Circle [11]

  • 19-18 University Circle (Side 1) 19-18 University Circle (Side 1)
  • 19-18 University Circle (Side 2) 19-18 University Circle (Side 2)
  • 19-18 Marker Back 19-18 Marker Back
  • 19-18 Marker Front 19-18 Marker Front
  • 19-18 Wade Park 19-18 Wade Park
  • 19-18 University Circle 19-18 University Circle
  • 19-18 University Circle 19-18 University Circle
  • 19-18 University Circle, Fine Arts Garden 19-18 University Circle, Fine Arts Garden
  • 19-18 University Circle, Severance Hall 19-18 University Circle, Severance Hall
  • 19-18 In front of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History 19-18 In front of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History
  • 19-18 19-Jun-06 19-18 19-Jun-06
Title, side A
University Circle
Text, side A
Named for the streetcar turnaround once located at Euclid Avenue and East 107th Street, University Circle is a 600-acre district that is home to many of Cleveland's major cultural, educational, medical, and service institutions. The area was first settled in 1799 by tavernkeeper Nathaniel Doan and became known as Doan's Corners. In 1882, Western Reserve College moved here from Hudson, followed in 1885 by the Case School of Applied Science from downtown Cleveland. These two colleges federated in 1967 to become Case Western Reserve University. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
(Continued from other side) In 1882, Jeptha Wade, founder of early telecommunications giant Western Union, donated the large tract of land that became Wade Park. In 1916, in accordance with the terms of Wade's gift, The Cleveland Museum of Art opened in the park. Over the years many other institutions, as well as their benefactors, have made their homes here. In 1931, The Cleveland Orchestra found a permanent home in Severance Hall and University Hospitals of Cleveland was dedicated, firmly establishing University Circle as a premier urban district. The Circle is unique for its concentration of diverse organizations.
Location
across from the Cleveland Museum of Art, Wade Oval
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.306170, Longitude: -81.367490.
Google map: