Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 25-18 The Mills of Gates Mills [7]

Title, side A
The Mills of Gates Mills
Text, side A
The village of Gates Mills derives its name from its founder, Holsey Gates, and from the importance of mills in the agricultural community. In 1826, the year of Gates Mills' founding, a sawmill was constructed to increase the lumber supply and attract new settlers. In the following year, a rake factory was established, and by 1829 a gristmill was in operation. The Chagrin River was dammed to create a millrace that regulated the flow of water to the wheels that powered the mills. Shops and houses encircled the mills, which were the center of industry in Gates Mills.
Address
7580 Old Mill Road
Gates Mills, OH 44040
Location
SE corner of Old Mill Road and Epping Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.5174460, Longitude: -81.4055000.
Google map: