Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 35-18 The Chagrin River's "High Falls" [14]

Title, side A
The Chagrin River's "High Falls"
Text, side A
The Chagrin River was named for Francois Seguin, a Frenchman who traded with Native Americans in Northeast Ohio circa 1742. The "High Falls" of the Chagrin River primarily attracted settlers from New England (circa 1833) seeking a location with ample waterpower. By the mid-nineteenth century an axe factory, a foundry, 2 flour mills, 4 woolen mills, 2 sawmills, 3 paper mills, and a woodenware factory had been built along the riverbanks in Chagrin Falls. The "High Falls" provided a power source for a gristmill, built in 1836 at this location. Today, only one factory remains in operation in the Village of Chagrin Falls.
Location
Stairway to the Falls, N. Main St.
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.430860, Longitude: -81.391950.
Google map: