Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 49-18 First Brick Rural Road in U.S. [3]

  • 49-18 The Marker 49-18 The Marker
  • 49-18 the marker 49-18 the marker
  • 49-18 Marker 49-18 Marker
Title, side A
First Brick Rural Road in U.S.
Text, side A
In the late nineteenth century, a movement to improve inadequate plank and dirt roads was brought on by the popularity of bicycling, the introduction of the automobile, and the need to improve travel to and from rural areas. Ohio, as a leader in the manufacture of brick paving blocks, was quick to upgrade roads. Toll roads were waning in popularity and the need for free roads was recognized. An act passed in 1892 authorized Cuyahoga County to levy a road tax. With funds levied, the Commissioners selected the Wooster Pike as one of three road improvement projects.
Text, side B
The first brick surface pavement on a rural road was laid along the Wooster Pike, a former stagecoach route from Cleveland to Wooster. Construction for the four miles of brick pavement began in the fall of 1893, and it was completed in 1896. The road began at what is now Olde York Road in Parma Heights and ended in the Village of Albion, Ohio. The York Street Tollgate for the Brooklyn and Parma Wooden Plank Toll Road Company (1876-1907) was located northeast of the beginning point along the Wooster Pike.
Address
6229 Pearl Road
Parma Heights, OH 44130
Location
6229 Pearl Road in Treelawn
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.392251, Longitude: -81.760150.
Google map: