Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ashland County / 1-3 Hayesville Town Hall & Opera House [7]

  • 1-3 The marker 1/12/2014 1-3 The marker 1/12/2014
  • 1-3 The Marker July 07 1-3 The Marker July 07
  • 1-3 The Marker setting July 07 1-3 The Marker setting July 07
  • 1-3 The setting July 07 1-3 The setting July 07
  • 1-3 Marker Site 1-3 Marker Site
  • 1-3 Opera House 1-3 Opera House
  • 1-3 Hayesville Town Hall & Opera House 1-3 Hayesville Town Hall & Opera House
Title, side A
Hayesville Town Hall & Opera House
Text, side A
This building was a center of community life from the time of its construction in 1886 to the late 1930s. Once common, such combinations of governmental offices and commercial and entertainment space are today rare. The second floor opera house retains many original features, including stage backdrops, dressing rooms, and seats. Vaudeville, theater companies, and entertainment of all kinds were hosted here and many performers signed the backstage walls: Buffalo Bill dated his signature October 28, 1888. Along with village offices, first floor tenants have included the Vermillion Township Trustees, the Eddie Stover Hat Shop, and the F.L. Smith Watch Repair and Jewelry Store. Hayesville's citizens approved the hall's construction on April 18, 1884 by a vote of 100 to 13. Contractor Samuel Craig completed the building two years later at a cost of $4,852.20. Located on the Lincoln Highway, this building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Location
E. Main Street, at the corner of SR 60 and 179 by the Post Office
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.772900, Longitude: -82.262120.
Google map: