Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 62-18 Ursuline College, 1871 [11]

Title, side A
Ursuline College, 1871
Text, side A
The first women's college chartered in the state of Ohio, Ursuline College opened in 1871 in downtown Cleveland as part of the educational mission of the Order of St. Ursula (O.S.U.). Founded in Italy in 1535 with an early presence in North America, this order established its first religious teaching community in Cleveland in 1850, led by foundress Mother Mary of the Annunciation Beaumont, O.S.U. The college's growth prompted four moves in Cleveland and subsequently to the Pepper Pike campus in 1966. Ursuline holds the distinction as one of the first catholic women's colleges in the United States organized and chartered explicitly for college education.
Address
2550 Lander Road
Pepper Pike, OH 44124
Location
2550 Lander Road, Pepper Pike
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.495761, Longitude: -81.462850.
Google map: