Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 66-18 The Old Stone Church [10]

  • 66-18 Old Stone Church 1977 66-18 Old Stone Church 1977
  • 66-18 Church 66-18 Church
  • 66-18 Marker 66-18 Marker
  • 66-18 Cleveland Public Square 66-18 Cleveland Public Square
  • 66-18 Old Stone Church 66-18 Old Stone Church
  • 66-18 Old Stone Church 66-18 Old Stone Church
  • 66-18 Old Stone Church 66-18 Old Stone Church
  • 66-18 Old Stone Church, Stained Glass Windows 66-18 Old Stone Church, Stained Glass Windows
  • 66-18 Old Stone Church, Stained Glass Windows 66-18 Old Stone Church, Stained Glass Windows
  • 66-18 Stone Church Minus Steeple 1989 66-18 Stone Church Minus Steeple 1989
Title, side A
The Old Stone Church
Text, side A
Religious worship began on this site in 1820 as a Plan of the Union Sunday School with ministers recruited by the Connecticut Home Missionary Society. Its first stone church, officially known as the First Presbyterian Church of Cleveland, was built and dedicated on February 26, 1834, but as the congregation grew, a second stone church was constructed and finished on August 12, 1855. Built of Berea Sandstone, it stands now as the oldest building on Public Square. Ravaged by fires in 1857 and 1884, the church was rebuilt according to the original plans, and the 1884 interior restored by East Coast architect, Charles W. Schweinfurth. From 1965 to 1983, the chapel served as the worship center for the Cleveland Chinese Christian Church.
Address
91 Public Square
Cleveland, OH
Location
91 Public Square
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.500209, Longitude: -81.694556.
Google map: