Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 71-18 The West Park African American Community [7]

  • 71-18 The West Park African American Community 71-18 The West Park African American Community
  • 71-18 The West Park African American Community 71-18 The West Park African American Community
  • 71-18 The West Park African American Community 71-18 The West Park African American Community
  • 71-18 The West Park African American Community 71-18 The West Park African American Community
  • 71-18 West Park African American Community 71-18 West Park African American Community
  • 71-18 West Park African American Community 71-18 West Park African American Community
  • 71-18 Marker 71-18 Marker
Title, side A
The West Park African American Community
Text, side A
The West Park African American community began in 1809 with the first black settler and one of the earliest residents of the area, inventor and farmer George Peake. With the growth of the railroad industry, African Americans were encouraged to move into the area to work at the New York Central Round House and Train Station located in Linndale. First among these, in 1912, were Beary Frierson and Henry Sharp. As more and more African Americans came, African American institutions followed. In 1919, Reverend Thomas Evans and the families of Herndon Anderson and Joseph Williams founded St. Paul A.M.E. Church, the first black congregation on Cleveland's West Side. Reverend D.R. Shaw, the Ebb Strowder family and Iler Burrow established the Second Calvary Baptist Church in 1923. Both became pillars of the community.
Location
Brookfield Park, Brookfield Ave.