Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ashland County / 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village [9]

  • 4-3 The marker 1/12/2014 4-3 The marker 1/12/2014
  • 4-3 Marker Back 5-16-10 4-3 Marker Back 5-16-10
  • 4-3 Marker Front 5-16-10 4-3 Marker Front 5-16-10
  • 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village
  • 4-3 Marker Side B 4-3 Marker Side B
  • 4-3 Marker Side B Jul 07 4-3 Marker Side B Jul 07
  • 4-3 Marker Site 4-3 Marker Site
  • 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village (Side B) 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village (Side B)
  • 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village (Side A) 4-3 Greentown Delaware Village (Side A)
Title, side A
Greentown Delaware Village
Text, side A
A migration of Indians throughout Ohio began due to unstable conditions created by the American Revolution. The massacre of Christian Indians at the Moravian mission of Gnadenhutten in 1782 and Colonel William Crawford's expedition against Wyandot and Delaware towns along the Sandusky fueled insecurities. Delaware, including a small group of Mingo Indians, abandoned the village of Helltown, five miles southwest of this site, and settled Greentown as early as 1783. Greentown, situated on an elevation on the Black Fork beyond the clearing behind this site, was presumably named for British loyalist, Thomas Green. John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) had an amicable relationship with the Delaware, owned land throughout the Black Fork Valley, and was known to visit Greentown on his travels throughout Ohio. Other visitors to the village included the Shawnee Prophet; Munsee Delaware leader, Captain Pipe; and local preacher, James Copus.
Text, side B
(continued from other side) Observers noted that there were more than one hundred and fifty dwellings at Greentown by 1812. Although considered peaceful, the intentions of the Greentown Indians were questioned during the War of 1812. Following General William Hull's surrender to the British at Detroit on August 16, 1812, residents were removed from Greentown for fear that they would aid "unfriendly" Indians. The removal is dated sometime between August 27 and September 3, 1812. Greentown residents were uncertain about what would occur after removal and were hesitant to obey the orders. Chief Armstrong was assured, through the urging of James Copus, that Greentown's property would be inventoried and protected until peace ensued. However, a faction of militiamen who "assisted" in the removal stayed behind and set fire to the village. Consequently, the village remained essentially abandoned after the War of 1812.
Address
2488 State Route 39
Perrysville, OH 44864
Location
2488 SR 39
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.704932, Longitude: -82.366080.
Google map: