Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ashtabula County / 3-4 Western Reserve [6]

  • 3-4 Town Hall 3-4 Town Hall
  • 3-4 Marker 3-13-10 3-4 Marker 3-13-10
  • 3-4 The Marker 10/25/2014 3-4 The Marker 10/25/2014
  • 3-4 The marker is on the northwest corner 3-4 The marker is on the northwest corner
  • 3-4 Karen1962 3-4 Karen1962
  • 3-4  Western Reserve and the Firelands Map 3-4 Western Reserve and the Firelands Map
Title, side A
Western Reserve
Text, side A
On July 4, 1796, Moses Cleaveland and his survey party landed at the mouth of Conneaut Creek on the southern shore of Lake Erie in what is today Conneaut, Ohio. The Connecticut Land Company, a private land speculation enterprise, had hired General Cleaveland as its agent to survey the Connecticut Western Reserve lands and to found a settlement along the Cuyahoga River, later named Cleveland. Group members pitched tents and erected a crude shelter to protect the provisions and survey equipment before celebrating the independence of the new country with toasts and salutes. The next day they organized into field groups to begin the historic survey of measuring the townships and ranges of the Western Reserve.
Address
294 Main Street
Conneaut, OH 44030
Location
Conneaut City Hall, 294 Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.942410, Longitude: -80.557100.
Google map: