Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Geauga County / 10-28 Burton Congregational Church [4]

  • 10-28 Burton Congregational Church 1 10-28 Burton Congregational Church 1
  • 10-28 Burton Congregational Church 2 10-28 Burton Congregational Church 2
  • 10-28 Burton Congregational Church Viewed From Burton Square 10-28 Burton Congregational Church Viewed From Burton Square
  • 10-28 The marker 5/5/2-14 10-28 The marker 5/5/2-14
Title, side A
Burton Congregational Church
Text, side A
The Burton Congregational Church was organized in 1808 and met in several nearby locations before this present building was erected in 1836 at a cost of $4,000. It was originally located within the park directly opposite where it stands today, but was moved to its present location in 1850. The steeple, rising 104 feet from the ground, crowned the roof in 1875. The church building was frequently used as a public hall and for many years was also used as the main hall for the Agricultural Fair, the forerunner of the Great Geauga County Fair. A former architect referred to the church as "Steamboat Gothic" because of its unusual appearance, but to its membership and friends it is just a beautiful place to worship God.
Address
14558 W Park St
Burton, OH 44021
Location
Burton Congregational Church, 14558 W Park St
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.472405, Longitude: -81.145629.
Google map: